Theodore Kim
V00960161
Music 116
Dr. Patrick Boyle
December 9, 2020

Optional Blog Prompt C for Choice Cuts

Define “serialized timbre.” Articulate your own ideas on how you would serialize timbre, and where possible give specific examples.

Serialized timbre, in my estimation, is a specific series of different timbres that repeats. To serialize timbre for a single instrument, I would select at least a few different timbres, gather the same number of performers, and assign a timbre to each performer. For example, with three pianos and players, I could have one play with a standard piano timbre, one with a felt pad between the strings and the hammers so that the timbre is muffled, and one with metal tacks attached to the hammers so that the timbre is metallic and in a ‘honky-tonk’ style. To apply this series of timbres to music, I could separate, say, a Mozart piece into individual phrases, and have the pianos of different timbres take turns playing each consecutive phrase. The timbre could change at each beat, if desired. In either case, the phrases or notes could rotate timbres in turn, or play simultaneously to create an interesting combination of timbres. 

Perhaps each key of a piano could be modified to produce a different timbre, and then a set of serialized pitches could determine the order of timbres – or vice versa! A set of serialized timbres could determine the order of pitches to create melodies.

I could gather three pianos of different timbres, similar to the first example, but apply the serialized set of timbres to a rhythmic piece consisting of one pitch. While this may not be another way of serializing timbre, I think it would make for a cool musical work. 

The ways of serializing timbre that I have presented include gathering many of the same instruments and giving each a different timbre, and taking one instrument and giving each string/key/etc. a different timbre. In both setups, I would then apply a series of the used timbres to a piece. I am sure that these ideas are nothing groundbreaking – thus, I would love to learn more about all the ways musicians have serialized timbre in the past, and are doing it today!